Indira Kranthi Patham :DAIRY
Milch animal rearing is one of the major subsidiary activities supplementing the income of rural households in the district. Dairying is more than a business for the thousands of small farmers who own small land holdings.
Dairying in Chittoor District
- Chittoor District is first in cow milk production in the State with milk production estimated at 15-16 LLPD
- Has good base of cross bred breedable cattle of around 5.34 lakhs (2007 census)
- Good veterinary infrastructure with Gopalmitras providing breeding services at the doorstep of farmers
- Milk procurement and marketing is well established. BMCUs of MMS playing a key role in milk procurement.
- Farmers are well aware of the cattle management practices
Established Bulk Milk Chilling Centers (BMCUs), manned by Mandal Mahila Samakhyas to ensure remunerative prices to milk pourers.
Marketing tie up with Balaji Dairy (NDDB) and AP Dairy. 64 BMCUs were functioned until April 2011. Sanction given for additional 25 BMCUs by Government which will be completed by December 2011. In addition Balaji Dairy operating 20 mini BMCUs and Chilling Centers at Palamaner & Tirupathi. Present milk procurement in the district is 2.71Lakhs liters per day which is the highiest by any agency in the district. Price stabilisation, regular payments and transparency are the hall marks of this intervention.
Milch Animal Purchase Programme (KAMADENU)
DRDA,CHITTOOR piloted Animal Purchase Programme with NABARD tie up in Madanapalli and Ramasamudram mandals wherein an amount of Rs.100 Lakhs was released for grounding 2 animals to 150 farmers. Success of the pilot enthused Bankers and District Administration to go for Kamadenu Programme
intending to induct 2 milch animals for at least 150 milk pourers of each BMCU in the district. Objective is to ground milch animls to atleast 10,000 milk pourers by March 2012. more...